Norton 360 Leaderboard Advertisement May ROS 24

Passport FAQ

passport faq

Getting your passport has always been a time-consuming process, but in recent years it has taken even longer. It could now take eight to eleven weeks to get your passport or five to seven weeks for an expedited passport, according to the State Department.

“If you want to travel this year, check your passport now,” said Chuck Nardozza, managing director of travel sales at AAA Northeast. He also advises travelers to check the passport status of everyone in your travel party, share your passport status with your travel advisor and book travel that ensures your return date is at least six months before your passport is set to expire.

Even if you think you’re not going abroad anytime soon, it might be wise to renew your passport sooner rather than later.

Here are some common passport FAQs that new international travelers should be familiar with.

What is a passport for?

A passport is a document that allows the holder to travel internationally. It is also occasionally used as a means of identification, and often more trusted than other forms of ID. A passport is absolutely necessary for travel to or from the U.S.

Where do I get a passport?

You can apply for a passport by mail in some situations, and at passport acceptance facilities like designated local post offices, public libraries and other types of government offices. Find one near you.

You can mail your passport paperwork to the closest National Passport Processing Center.

  • If you are getting a new passport or a passport for a child, you will need the DS-11 form.
  • If you are renewing your passport, you will need the DS-82 form.
  • If you are changing your passport info, such as spelling or name change, you will need the DS-5504 form.
passpoart FAQ
A passport is required for any air travel outside the U.S. (Photo: Montri Thipsorn / Shutterstock)

How much does it cost?

For a child’s passport book (DS-11), the application fee is $100 and the processing fee is $35. For an adult’s first passport (DS-11), the application fee is $130 and the processing fee is $35. For an adult passport renewal (DS-82), the application fee is $130 and there is no processing fee.

What do I need to bring with me to get a passport?

An important inclusion on any passport FAQ list is a completed DS- form, which you can download from There are form-fillable PDF versions as well as printable versions  you can fill out by hand.

You will also need evidence of U.S. citizenship such as a valid or expired U.S. passport, a U.S. birth certificate, a consular report of Birth Abroad, a Certificate of Naturalization or a Certificate of Citizenship. Any one of these official documents will do.

The passport office will also require a photocopy of the front and back of your chosen document to keep for their files.

At the passport office, you will need to present ID, such as an undamaged U.S. passport, a driver’s license, a certificate of naturalization or citizenship, a government employee ID, a U.S. military or military-dependent ID, a valid foreign passport or Mexican Consular Identification. Naturally, they will require a photocopy of the front and back of your ID as well.

You need to provide a passport photo that meets U.S. passport photo requirements, such as sizing, background and facial expression.

If you have a special circumstance, you might also need accompanying paperwork. Take a look at the comprehensive list of special circumstance documents at

102 National Park Attractions

See the most beautiful sights in America with help from this Your AAA guide to national parks.

Download Now!

How do passport photographs work?

It is not really recommended to take a passport photo yourself, as the rules and regulations are so strict. Some post offices and pharmacies offer passport photo services. Fortunately, in addition to this passport FAQ, AAA also offers passport photo services at many branch locations, making the process much easier for AAA members.

In a passport photo, your head must be facing the camera with a neutral facial expression. You cannot be taking up too much or too little of the frame, and you must be wearing “neutral clothing.” You have to be standing in front of a plain white background, with no glasses and no non-religious hat or head coverings. The shadows can’t even be too extreme. The photo must have been taken within the past six months, and it must be printed in color. The dimensions are 2 x 2 inches.

Can I retake my picture?

The only way to change the photo on your passport is to renew your entire passport with a DS-82 form and a new picture. Usually, you don’t have to change your picture unless your appearance has drastically changed since the time of the last photo. Most physical changes over the course of 10 years are considered very minor by Border Patrol agents.

What passport services does AAA offer?

As noted above, AAA branch offices have passport and immigration photo services, with special pricing for AAA members. Though AAA does not issue passports or process passport applications, DS- forms are available at all branch offices. AAA branch offices can also help you with many passport FAQs in person.

How long does it take to get a passport?

It usually takes approximately 8 to 11 weeks for routine service. It might take longer, so give yourself some wiggle room by applying as early as you can.

Can I rush my passport to get it faster?

You can usually get an expedited passport within five to seven weeks by mail or by visiting an acceptance facility.

Travelers with a life-or-death emergency can make an appointment at a passport agency or center to receive a passport within within 72 hours. You still have to do all of the paperwork, and you have to present proof of the emergency.

Looking for more ways to speed up the process? You can also use RushMyPassport, an expedited passport courier service. You simply fill out the appropriate paperwork, mail it to RushMyPassport via FedEx, and your documents are hand-carried to the U.S. Department of State. There is an extra fee for this service, but AAA members receive an exclusive discount.

How long does my passport last?

If you were 15 or younger when you received it, it will last five years. If you were 16 or older when you received it, it will last 10 years.

How do I correct or change information on my passport?

If you require a correction for the gender listed on your passport, you must re-apply using form DS-11. You will need to present photo ID, a new passport photo, proof of your legal name change and a medical certificate that states you are either in the process of transitioning or have already transitioned.

If you are changing your name, you must re-apply using form DS-5504. You will need to present your old passport, an original or certified document of your name change and a new passport photo.

To correct a data or printing error, you must use form DS-5504. You will need your incorrect passport, a passport photo and evidence of error. There are usually no fees to correct such errors.

Does my child need a passport for international travel?

Yes. It does not matter how old they are. They need one.

Both parents must be present to sign the passport application, or the absent parent or guardian can sign a statement of consent. The child also needs to appear with the parents in person for the application.

Do I need a passport to go to Mexico or Canada?

Yes. You need a passport for international travel even within North America. You can also use a passport card if you are traveling by land or sea. New York residents can use a DMV-issued Enhanced Driver License to return to the U.S. by land or sea from Canada, Mexico and some countries in the Caribbean.

Starting in 2025, a passport or Real ID will be needed to fly domestically. Here’s everything you need to know.

What is a passport card?

A passport card is a smaller and less expensive version of a passport. It is about the same size as a driver’s license. It is meant for people who live near borders and regularly have to cross them. Passport cards are only applicable for travel to and from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda. They cannot be used on any international flights – only by land or sea.

What happens if my passport gets stolen or lost while abroad?

Contact the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate and tell the consular officer about your lost or stolen passport. Provide staff with your travel details so that they can help you get a new passport.

You will need a new passport photo, ID, evidence of U.S. citizenship, a travel itinerary, a DS-11 passport application, a DS-64 statement regarding a lost or stolen passport, a police report if available or applicable and the normal passport fees.

Travel insurance may help if your passport is lost or stolen. Learn more about AAA Northeast’s Travel Protection Plan with Allianz.

What are your favorite passport tips and tricks? Do you have any other inclusions for this passport FAQ? Let us know in the comments. 

Need a new passport photo? Get your picture taken at a AAA branch location

This post was last updated on March 11, 2024. 


Sign up and receive updates for all of the latest articles on automotive, travel, money, lifestyle and so much more!

10 Thoughts on “Passport FAQ

  1. If my passport and travel profile with my carrier are in my married name but I am now divorced, do I HAVE to change my passport details or can I fly under my married name until this backlog is all sorted out?

    1. Hi there!
      The U.S. Department of State has name change guidelines on its site; you can find them here. A AAA Northeast Travel advisor could also give you passport information. You can make an appointment with a Travel advisor here.
      I hope this helps! Thanks so much for reading.
      -Dana L.

  2. How far in advance of the expiration date of your current passport can you apply for a renewal? Because of the current situation, we have no current international travel plans. My current passport expires in early 2023. What is the earliest time I can apply for renewal? I would like to apply while our travel plans are nonexistent – because once we feel free to travel again – we plan to make up for lost time.

    1. Hi there! You can apply for a renewal about nine months before your current passport is set to expire. Thanks for reading!

  3. The following was copied from the website today, Sept 30, 2020:

    “September 28, 2020

    “You can now apply for routine service and expect to receive a passport in 10-12 weeks. You also have the option of paying an additional $60 for expedited service to receive your passport in 4-6 weeks.

    “These processing times apply to applications submitted by mail and in-person at an acceptance facility in your community. Most acceptance facilities such as post offices, clerks of court, and libraries are open and accepting passport applications. We encourage you to apply by mail when possible because it is a safe, contactless option for certain services.

    “All of our agencies and centers are processing passport applications. To prevent the spread of COVID-19 and protect our workforce and customers, we currently are limiting in-person appointments at our agencies and centers to customers who are traveling internationally in the next 72 hours (3 business days) due to a life-or-death emergency. ”

    The website appears to have been updated on Sept. 28…so it is the go-to-place for the most recent information, thereby making some of the information above outdated now.


    1. Hi Thomas!
      Thank you so much for bringing this to our attention. We’ve updated the story and will do so periodically during the COVID-19 pandemic.
      Thanks for reading!
      Dana L.

  4. Don’t forget: you cannot travel to certain countries with your passport if it is going to expire in 6 months.

    Also, you can only renew without a processing fee if it expired less than 5 years; otherwise you have to re-apply with a DS-11

  5. I think the following point is important.
    Even though your passport is technically valid for 10 years the last 6 months before it expires following statement applies.
    Some countries require that your passport be valid at least six months beyond the dates of your trip. Some airlines will not allow you to board if this requirement is not met.


    1. Good question, Nancy!

      From the State Department:

      “You can renew by mail using Form DS-82 if your most recent passport:

      -Is submitted with your application
      -Is undamaged (other than normal “wear and tear”)
      -Was issued when you were age 16 or older
      -Was issued within the last 15 years
      -Was issued in your current name (or you can document your name change with an original or certified copy of your marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court order)”

      Hope that helps!

      – Sarah

Leave A Comment

Comments are subject to moderation and may or may not be published at the editor’s discretion. Only comments that are relevant to the article and add value to the Your AAA community will be considered. Comments may be edited for clarity and length.