The freedom and flexibility of renting a car can be a game-changer, allowing you to plan a road trip, visit family and friends, or simply make your daily commute more convenient. However, there’s a common misconception that you must be 25 years or older to rent a car. While many rental car companies have strict age restrictions, Hertz is breaking the mold by allowing individuals as young as 20 to rent a car, and even 18 in some cities.
Hertz’s Age Policy
Hertz has adopted a more lenient age policy, allowing individuals between the ages of 20 and 25 to rent a car. The company recognizes that responsible younger drivers are just as capable of safely operating a rental car as anyone 25 and older. But there are some key terms and conditions drivers should be aware of before renting a car for the first time.
- Under 25 Rental Fee: For renters that are under the age of 25, Hertz charges a young renter fee of $19 per day, which is below the industry average. This fee varies depending on your location and the type of car that you’re renting. It’s advisable to check with your local Hertz Car Rental for specific rates.
- Vehicle Selection: While Hertz opens its doors to younger renters, certain vehicles may still be off-limits at different locations. Renters under 25 can rent from a variety of car classes, from economy to SUVs, but are excluded from renting certain high-performance cars, luxury vehicles and some specialty models might have age restrictions. Don’t worry, you won’t be stuck with a minivan.
- Renters must be 20 years old to rent a vehicle at most Hertz locations in the United States and Canada. The minimum age in Michigan, New York and the province of Quebec is 18 years old. While in Alabama and Nebraska, the minimum age to rent a vehicle is 19.
Documents You’ll Need for Renting a Car Under 25
If you’re a driver looking to rent a car under the age of 25, here are some essential tips to make the process hassle-free.
- Understand Insurance Options: Hertz Car Rental locations offer various insurance options, such as collision damage or liability coverage. It’s imperative to understand the coverage that you may need and the additional cost it may entail.
- Valid Driver’s License: Ensure that your driver’s license is valid and in good standing for over a year. Hertz Car Rental locations will check your driving record, and a poor record could lead to denial of service.
- Valid Credit or Debit Card: Some Hertz locations may require a credit card to rent a car.
- Age Verification: When booking with Hertz, be prepared to provide documentation providing your age. This typically involves presenting your driver’s license and an additional form of identification, in some cases.
How to Stay on Budget
Renting a car can quickly add up to an expensive adventure, here are some budget-friendly tips to save you money.
- Plan ahead: As soon as you know that you would like to rent a car, start your research. The more time you allow for research and booking, the better your chances of securing a vehicle that suits your needs and budget.
- Use Membership Benefits: If you belong to an automobile club, such as AAA, or are a member of any loyalty programs, check for discounts or special offers. You may be surprised at how much these memberships can save you.
- Rental Duration: Be mindful of the length of your car rental. In some cases, renting for a full week might be more cost-effective than a shorter duration.
- Returning the Vehicle: Return the rental car on the agreed-upon date and time to avoid late fees. And make sure that the car is in the same condition as when you received it.
So, go on and hit the road and experience the world. Where will you be heading next?
Learn how AAA members can save up to 20% off on Hertz rentals.