Besito delivers an elevated, authentic-style of Mexican cuisine in a refined, relaxed setting free of cliches. From the traditional stone mortar and pestle (aka molcajete) to the complimentary worry dolls handed out at the end of every meal, the thoughtful incorporation of Mexican culture helps to make each visit a memorable one.
When you’re going on a trip, sometimes the best thing to do is to follow your stomach. In recent years, food tourism has become more and more popular.
In the evaluation of the restaurant’s Roslyn, N.Y., location, the AAA inspector describes Besito as a “personal favorite for the best upscale Mexican dining experience on Long Island,” citing the guacamole as “a must.” And it certainly is a popular choice. During any visit, it’s not hard to spot the guacamole cart busily making its rounds through the restaurant, stopping at nearly every table.
The servers work swiftly to make the green dip, pitting and dicing the avocados, then quickly mixing and mashing them in the molcajete with diced tomato, onion, cilantro and jalapeno. Watching it all come together adds a sense of freshness and authenticity to the dish, making it a highlight of the Besito experience. When you add salsa and chips, it doesn’t get much better.
Lucky for us, the restaurant let us in on a few secrets. Follow these tips at home with your favorite guacamole recipe.
- Use only the freshest ingredients. Besito recommends using Mexican Hass avocados, which should be soft but not too soft. All other ingredients – cilantro, white onion, tomatoes, jalapenos and salt – should be freshly sourced and chopped.
- Prepare your guacamole immediately before serving.
- Always use a wooden spoon in an authentic molcajete (or any bowl you have at home) to mash & grind your ingredients. Never use a blender or food processor. For the most authentic taste, guacamole should be chunky.
- For larger parties, make a medium-spiced guacamole and put out some extra finely chopped jalapenos and habanero salsa on the side for those who like a spicier version!
- Serve specialty ingredients (such as fresh pulled crabmeat or lobster chunks) on the side for guests to make themselves an extra special treat.
- Make it with a smile and pair it with a margarita!
Pass the tortilla chips, please!
To learn more about Besito and other AAA Diamond Rated restaurants and hotels, visit AAA.com/Diamonds.
This post was originally published in 2016 and has been updated.