Shani started her tenure at AAA Northeast with the AAA New Jersey Automobile Club in 2008. Today, she is the Content and Design Manager for Public Affairs, as well as a traffic safety educator.
“One of my favorite things about my job is the variety. Every day is different,” Shani said. “I can go from speaking to executives about a signature program to talking to children about safety, and then spend some time doing design work. As they say, variety is the spice of life. I love that I have the ability to easily adapt to different audiences and activities.”
Shani shares a few quick words of wisdom, including her thoughts on simple acts of kindness and the importance of a good laugh.
Q. What career advice would you give to your younger self?
Don’t be afraid to try new things and expand your horizons. Take on tasks that challenge you or make you uncomfortable. You can always teach yourself to do the things you don’t know, and you should never stop learning. You’ll never know what you’re capable of accomplishing or you’ll never know if you really enjoy something unless you try.
Q. Are you a dog person or a cat person?
I’m definitely a dog person. Dogs give a certain kind of unconditional love and appreciation, and they’re always there for you. I cannot imagine life without a dog. Plus, I’m allergic to cats.
Q. What’s one thing that can instantly make your day better?
A compliment. I remember a time when I was having a tough day, and while out at lunch, a complete stranger stopped me on the street to tell me that she loved my outfit. She had no idea how I was feeling, but she lifted my spirits so much. Make it a practice to compliment someone every day; you never know the impact you’re going to have.
Q. What’s your favorite seat on an airplane?
Anything but the middle! But I lean toward the aisle. And I preferred bulkhead/exit row seating before they started charging a premium for it.
Q. What is one important skill every person should have?
The ability to laugh. We all know life can be stressful, but you can’t take it too seriously. Laugh often and laugh loud.
Check out these past profiles of your colleagues:
- Andrew Rosen, vice president, Brand & Content Marketing
- Liz Eaton, member retention counselor, Outbound Contact Center
- Damond James, senior manager, Membership Experience
- Stephanie Tomasso, business line manager, Human Resources
- Ashley Janke, project manager, Marketing Operations
- Sarah Cholewa, marketing specialist, Financial Services
- Dan Pegg, email marketing specialist, Marketing
- Kemdy Lawson, senior data analyst, Marketing
- Brooke Fairbrothers, associate marketing specialist, Insurance
- Christine Spinella, business development coordinator, Sales
- David Dhanpat, senior marketing specialist, Marketing
- Dan Tu, director of marketing insights and analytics, e-Biz
- Kim Davis, manager, Outbound Call Center
- Jared Ventetuolo, senior financial analyst, Marketing
- John Garubba, managing director, Media and Digital Marketing
- Stephanie Freeman, marketing manager, Membership
- Amy Andrews, director of marketing, Membership
- Aleshi Bray, executive assistant, Marketing
- Tabitha Pereira, marketing coordinator, Travel
- Tracy Opiekum, marketing manager, Membership